Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Flawed forecast

A MONKEY I made of myself with some of the forecasts of “sure winners” I came out with on Monday, Election Day, here.
Yeah, I had a diet of crow with my predictions in six towns.
Lyndon Cunanan I wrote was it in Magalang. He got as far as third and last with incumbent Romy Pecson getting his undisputed re-election.
Josefina Leoncio upset Nardo Velasco in Sasmuan by a margin of 365 votes.
Ron Dungca lost to Jomar Hizon in Bacolor.
Peter Flores got re-elected in Masantol with Jay Bustos crying “massive cheating.”
Nobody really got wronged in San Simon with Leonor Wong way over the predicted Baby Dalisay who ranked third.
The Flores dynasty I wrote about in Minalin cut abruptly by once loser Katoy Naguit.
Still I would say though that I made good with my forecast overall.
I wrote “landslide for Nanay.” So a landslide it was for Lilia “Nanay Baby” Pineda.
The congressional contests are a ho-hum, I predicted. Ho-hum indeed they were: Cong Tarzan Lazatin, Cong Dong Gonzales and now-Cong GMA all trouncing their rivals by over 100,000 votes; Cong Anna York Bondoc-Sagum’s 2007 margin of 82,000 votes over Rene Maglanque halved to some 40,000 this time around. Still a landslide there.
City of San Fernando Mayor Oscar Rodriguez may not have won by a looong mile as I forecast, but neither by a nose was his victory over Tiger Lagman with his margin of over 15,000 votes.
Combine all the votes of his rivals, Boking Morales with his 35,080 votes would still emerge triumphant in Mabalacat.
True enough, a proclamation, not an election, Mayor Eddie Guerrero waited for in Floridablanca.
As written here, so it was: a banya for Sta. Rita Mayor Yolly Pineda
From oblivion came the other candidates for the Guagua mayorship, returned to oblivion they did with Mayor Ric Rivera re-elected.
As it was in Sta. Ana – Mayor Omeng Concepcion a shoo-in, so it was too in Arayat – Mayor Chito Espino reprising his victory in 2007.
In Candaba, Mayor Jerry Pelayo reduced his opponents to what we farm boys used to warble; “Ando baco, buntuc paro.”
Again, as predicted: In Apalit, it’s balik-munisipyo for Mayor Jun Tetangco.
Yes, the Flores grip in Macabebe continues with Annie Flores-Balgan taking over from big brother Bobong.
Yes, Mayor Lito Naguit is still it – by a landslide – in my hometown of Sto. Tomas.
Yes, it’s Carling de la Cruz in Porac, as I bravely ventured.
Surprise, surprise, a most pleasant surprise. An even match I said of the Angeles City mayoralty contest, tilted to Ed Pamintuan’s favor with the Iglesia ni Cristo votes. Was I happily wrong! Mayor Blueboy Nepomuceno turned black and blue by EdPam’s margin of 26,179 votes.
Correct in predicting the outcome of the governorship, in the four congressional districts, in the two cities and in 14 towns. Wrong in six. That makes a batting average of 77 percent. Really good with political forecasting.
Maybe I am in the wrong racket. I may just do better with crystal balls and tarot cards inside a carnival tent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home