Monday, December 24, 2012

No home for Christmas


ONE CAROL that makes me cry is I’ll be home for Christmas. Whoever sings it, Bing Crosby or Michael Buble, Whitney Houston or Josh Groban.
Just the first strains are more than enough to work up the tear ducts –
I'm dreaming tonight of a place I love
Even more than I usually do
And although I know it's a long road back
I promise you…
Thoughts of toiling fathers in the desert sand, of seafaring husbands amid the winter seas; of care-giving mothers in some retirement home, of child-rearing sisters in some high-rise flats – all of them longing, pining --    
I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree
Aye, presents under the tree, but not so much – indeed, not ever – for snow and mistletoe. As for simbang gabi and bibingka, puto bumbong, suman and tamales. And – above all – family --   
Christmas eve will find you
Where the love light gleams
At the Misa de Aguinaldo singing Gloria in excelsis welcoming with the angels and the shepherds the birth of the Savior. And then, from the humblest hovels to the grandest mansions, the whole family, in prayerful thanksgiving, partaking of the noche buena feast.   
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams.
The overseas Filipino worker sings. And I just can’t help but cry with him.
Still, he can dream of some homecoming.
Alas, that is not so with the folk uprooted, displaced by typhoon Pablo.
Home for Christmas is now all in the heart, pained memories of what once was.
Of them, what can we sing?
  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home